Understanding Legislation

There are a number of state laws in place that support the undocumented community here in California. It is important that individuals stay inform of these laws so that they can best utilize the resources available to them. At this time no state laws have been impacted by the new presidential election. We will continue to update the community on any policy changes. 

State Legislation Directly Impacting Undocumented Immigrants


Bill Name



Who qualifies?


AB 540 In State Tuition Exempts students from out-of-state tuition fees • Any undocumented individual who is able to pass all driver license requirements

• SF State AB 540 Information

• CSU AB 540 Campus Resources

• AB 540 Website

• UC System AB 540 Campus Resources

AB 2000 Expansion of AB 540 Expands AB 540 to include students who graduate early from high school with 3 years of HS credit • Anyone eligible to apply for a license after completing their education • California Student Aid Commission AB 540 and AB 2000 Eligibility Information
AB 130

California Dream Act

First Bill

Students who meet the in-state tuition requirements are able to apply for and receive scholarships from non-state funds.

• AB-540 qualifying students

• Those who have the qualifying income

• CSU System AB 130 / AB 131 Information
AB 131

California Dream Act

Second Bill

Allows students that meet the in-state tuition requirements to apply for state financial aid at CA public colleges and universities. • Those who qualify for AB 540 • CA Dream Act Website
SB 1210 CA DREAM Loan Program Undocumented students attending a UC or CSU campus may receive a loan of up to $4,000 each academic year with a cap of $20,000 total.

• Those who qualify for AB 540


• SF State Dream Loan Information

SB 1159 Professional Licenses for 2016 This bill prohibits any of the 40 licensing boards under the California Department of Consumer Affairs from denying licensure to an applicant based on their citizenship status or immigration status. • Students who meet the AB 540 requirements and have obtained a high school diploma either by attending a CA high school or an accelerated learning program 
AB 60 Driver License Implementation This bill requires the Department of Motor Vehicles to issue driver licenses to an applicant who is unable to prove legal presence in the US.

• Attend three full years of high school in CA or the equivalent for a GED

• Graduate from a CA high school, obtain a Certificate of Completion or a GED in CA

• Not possess a valid nonimmigrant visa (unless a T or a U)

• DMV Information